Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Something a bit fishy

So it's all a bit fishy and here is our underwater story box.


With our fishy theme we've been reading some fishy, underwater books too. 



I love all of these books, because they're not only great stories with lovely illustrations but they work on lots of different levels, which is great for reading to a one year old and three year old. 

Sharing a shell has lovely pictures and a great rhyming text whilst Ten friendly fish is a tough card page books, with raised little fish in holes - perfect for little fingers, with one fish disappearing on each page and concluding with a lovely pop up picture on the last page.  The rainbow fish has lovely pictures and is a really nice story to read. 

Where's that fish is possibly my favourite fishy book.  It's a board book with lots of brightly coloured pictures and then each page there is a hole which shows a bit of the picture of the next page that could be part of the fish but turns out to be something completely different - my one year just loves the bright pictures and holes whilst my three old loves the surprise that each time she turns the page the bit that looked like it was part of the fish turns out to be something else.


This storybox is something I've been wanting to try for a while, but have been trying to think of ways to include little chick in the making process.  So we started off with a shoe box and I cut out a rectangle on the front and a wide slot on the top using a stanley knife.  I then set little chick away with painting the box with an old tester pot of blue emulsion paint (it's great on cardboard as it doesn't flake off like poster paint).


We then used an old bit of clear plastic packaging and little chick glued it with pva glue onto the backside of the front panel forming the front window.  She also glued an extra bit of cardboard I had cut out to make a cave at the back.  We then raided our bits and pieces tin and found some ribbons and blue plastic for underwater plants and a little box that looked like it could be a teasure chest.  I then tied some little fish we have onto cotton threads and attached them to some kebab sticks.  Then we were ready for story time.


We did a few different stories of adventures finding treasure, finding a big bad fish in the cave, making new friends and getting caught in a net (a satsuma bag tied onto a chopstick).  I have to say that although my storytelling left a lot to be desired my three year old absolutely loved it and was enthralled.  When we'd finished I left everything out for her and later I spotted her happily telling her own little stories with the box. 

2 comments:

  1. These crafty posts are gorgeous! You must come and link them up with It's Playtime each Thursday, pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna, glad you like the post, I will definitely link up next week, thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...