Sunday, 7 August 2011

Preparations for a birthday celebration part 2: The hungry caterpillar birthday cake


Next we got busy making a birthday cake for Shoeshine.  Inspired by Coca Cake Cupcake's hungry caterpillar cupcake party train cake we set about doing our own version.  I'm not a great fan of sponge cupcakes, so I decided we would do a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.  I used the recipe for the cake and icing from the hummingbird bakery cookbook (although I did reduce the sugar and oil in the cake as I find their recipes are quite sweet and rich normally).

So we got busy mixing and then spooning into cupcake cases, Little Chick absolutely loved doing this and I was really impressed with how accurate she was, I think her tray was neater than mine! 
 

After 20 minutes in the oven the cakes were all ready.  I used standard fairy cake paper cases for the cakes that were going to make the caterpillar's body and then yorkshire pudding tins for the cakes that were going to be the caterpillar's head.  I made two heads just in case one didn't turn out right.


Then I did the icing.  This is where I had lots of fun, I did it when the girls were in bed as it was my first attempt at piping icing and I wanted to have a go in a bit of peace and quiet and I was really pleased with the results.  Now I know a bit more what I'm doing I will definitely need to give Little Chick a go with the piping bag and nozzles she would have a lot of fun!  These are the cakes for the body of the caterpillar. 

And here is the caterpillar's head.  This was rolled out pre-coloured fondant icing stuck down with a little bit of jam.


For the antenna I used lollipop sticks wrapped in rolled fondant icing and for the feet I just cut out the shapes in the icing.


And here it is all put together.


All set for a party!

1 comment:

  1. Such a clever idea for a cake. Love the very hungry caterpillar. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...