Thursday, 22 September 2011

Bath Time Play: Numbers



Bath time is great for play.  Most of the time in the bath we play with boats, empty shampoo bottles, cups and watering cans, but I've had my eye on those buckets of  bath toy foam numbers and letters.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money on them.  So whilst in a thrifty mood  I thought I would having a go at making them with some spare sheets of craft foam.  I basically drew out a set of numbers on different coloured sheets and cut them out.


Bath time is always popular in our house.  When you've run out of ideas and it's not quite bedtime what better than to stick them in the bath for a bit.  The water seems to open up a whole new world of exciting play adventures.  I love it too because with Shoeshine crawling around very fast and the house being a DIY work in progress, having them both contained in the bath is somewhat relaxing.  Although I should probably point out that neither of my girls are into huge splashing, violent storms and giant wave style play at the moment so thankfully all our water stays in the bath.  Part of me can't wait for the girls to explore some of these exciting games but I'm not sure I'd think bath time was quite so relaxing then!   


It's Bathtime
(you gotta love the coloured bathroom suites - I say bring them back into fashion!  We love our yellow one.)


Add the numbers


And have some fun.  

It was lovely watching her explore with the positioning of the numbers and at first I didn't intervene to correct and it was great watching her little mind working and sometimes realising that one number didn't look quite right and so she would turn it round.


Although she was not to be persuaded that 4 went the other way, so we left it backwards! (I'm not sure what the teachers out there would say to that!)

Shoeshine also enjoyed the numbers because as they stretched out and came closer to her end of the bath she could take them off, which wasn't as popular with big sis, hence why we don't have any pictures with 10 stuck on.

Since making them Little Chick has requested them a number of times at bath time and it's great to see her just having fun with numbers.  Learning without realising and learning through play.


I originally thought that if they proved popular I could go and buy some proper ones, but as kids often show you they don't care if its 'proper' or not and Little Chick and Shoeshine are more than happy with their own tub of numbers (although they probably wouldn't stand up to rough play).  I might even stretch to making them the alphabet if I can find the time, as Little Chick has just started asking what are letters, what are they called and what are they for.

What do you enjoy playing in the bath?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...