Friday, 9 September 2011

Creativity with Cardboard Boxes - House


We just love cardboard boxes!  It's always said that kids would rather play with the cardboard box than the present that came inside it, so we've been busy having fun with some of our empty boxes.  There are so many great ideas around for cardboard box play, I'm hoping to try a few over the coming months and this is our first attempt at creativity with cardboard boxes.

This is our cardboard house.  It was very simple to make, I used a Stanley knife to cut out the doors and windows and parcel tape to secure the pitch roof.  For the windows I used some plastic wrapping I'd saved from a bunch of flowers, one blue and one yellow, and secured them with pva glue.  I also used pipe cleaners to make some door handles, but these didn't last very long.


I have to say this has been an absolute hit, with Little Chick, Shoeshine and their friends, it seems the play possibilities with a cardboard box are endless.  Shoeshine just loves going in and out, in fact everyone seems to like going in and out and sometimes in and out all together which is a bit of a squeeze!


Little Chick also likes playing 'hide and seek', where she hides in the box and I have to go looking all round the house for her, then I finally find her in the box.  With great squeals of delight "again, again!" the game starts all over again, exactly the same!

Who's hiding here?


I can see you!


I've found you!


Other things we've played with it:
  • A house for her bear and his friends
  • Car garage
  • Quiet reading corner
There are loads of other things we could have played and I'd love to hear your ideas of what you play with cardboard boxes.  And the beauty of the cardboard house is that when it's been played with enough, it will just get taken apart and put in the recycling.  No need to find somewhere to store it.  And then there will be excitement from the girlies when the next cardboard creation arrives to be played with.

We've shared at:

Classified: Mom


5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make one! How big was the box you started with would you say? I am pinning this!

    I am a new follower from It's Playtime. If you have a chance stop by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thanks for popping by, the box was about 45cm square and then about 35cm high before the pitch, I think most biggish box will make a good house. The flaps on this box were over lapping when folded as a normal box so they made a nice high pitch roof, but you could always just add extra cardboard and tape together. Will pop over to your now and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cute & I love the sheer delight in the lil faces sticking out the boxes!!!

    Would love for you to come link up some of your kid friendly activities to my child centered linky party The Sunday Showcase - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bernadette, thanks for popping by and for inviting me to your link up. I've linked up there. Thanks for hosting a place to share ideas, I love looking at what creative things other people are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute house, I be it and looks like the kids do too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...