Monday, 23 July 2012

Fairy Garden Birthday Cake


I know it's been a little while since I last posted, the last few weeks have raced by, having 3 little ones is definitely keeping me busy.  I just never seem to get time in the evenings to catch up on anything!  Baby Boo is now 10 weeks old - where has the time gone? And we've had a lovely week away on holiday so hopefully things may settle down a bit and I'll get some things done.  But I just had to post this - as last week Shoeshine turned 2!  It was on big sis's suggestion that we should have a fairy celebration so she had a few friends over from some girlie fairy fun - a couple of posts of our activities to follow - but I thought I'd start by sharing the fairy garden cake I made for her.


This was really simple to make and went down a storm with all the little girls.  For the cake I made a 23in round banana and pineapple cake - The Hummingbird Cake from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.  I'm not a huge fan of Madeira cake and if I'm going to ice a cake I like to make one with fruit or veg in it so at least some of the sugar rush is natural sugar!  I then chopped off the middle top bit to made a flat surface and placed the two semi-circles I had cut off on top of each other as one side to form the raised area - apologies there are no pictures of how it came together, as usual I left everything to the last minute and was a little pushed for time.


I then made up double quantity of the vanilla frosting, also from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, and coloured some pale green and some blue.  The frosting is basically butter icing that has been beaten with an electric whisk to give it a bit more air.  The green was quite pale and to be honest as I was putting on the icing I was worried it was going to turn out a disaster, but ones the decorations were on it looked fine.


Finally I added white chocolate rainbow buttons for a path and stepping stones across the river and some pink mushroom sweets and some coconut toadstool sweets.  I'm sure an expert cake maker would have made all the flowers and leaves out of icing but these are just small silk flowers.  The fairies are from a lovely little play set Little Chick was given for her birthday and they just finish it off nice.


Happy 2nd Birthday Shoeshine!

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Shoeshine! That's a very pretty cake and I'm sure you had fun being a fairy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha, but not a patch on one of your cakes. Yes I'm enjoying having little girls - lots of fairies, princesses etc. Will be completely stumped when Baby boo gets bigger and wants to play! Hope you're all well. E xx

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful cake. My daughter would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was pretty easy too. Although my older daughter is already putting in her requests for her next birthday - so far we've had a castle, a ballerina and a house, so will have to develop my skills!

      Delete
  3. My goodness, what a TOTALLY adorable cake. Off to pin!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this! My little guy LOVES Smurfs, and I think that this cake would be perfect for them too! Thanks for stopping by my blog,I am a new follower! ~Justine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes it would be great for a Smurf land. Thanks for following. Ellie

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...