Tuesday, 21 August 2012

Ice Cream Play Dough Gift Set


We love playing with play dough in our house, so I thought I'd share one of the gift ideas I've done using play dough.  Last summer I was inspired by Sun Hats and Wellie Boots' ice cream play area and I thought it would make a lovely birthday gift for one of Little Chick's friends.


I bought a couple of plastic tubs, a set of lollisticks and an ice cream scoop.   I then made a batch of play dough and divided it into four, kneading in the various colours and flavours.

For the strawberry ice cream I added some strawberry flavouring and a bit of red food colouring to turn it pink.  The vanilla ice cream was left uncoloured, with the addition of vanilla essence.  The mint ice cream had some green food colouring and some peppermint extract and for the chocolate I added cocoa which made the colour and smell.  With the mix of these gorgeous flavours our kitchen smelt amazing when making this!

The cones were made from rolled triangles of cardboard.  I found that it was really difficult to get a good cone shape bending the card, it tended to form angles rather than a smooth curve.  So I briefly dipped the cardboard triangles in water then shaped and left to dry.  Once dry I glued them together.  (I have to say that  I would have likes these to be more robust than they turned out to be,  They were OK for play but wouldn't last lots of play sessions.  I think making them of multiple layers of slightly thinner cardboard might help next time.)  


I then painted an old shoe box with some left over emulsion and added a label so the box could be opened up and used as part of some ice cream shop play.  I also added some little shakers of glitter for the sprinkles. All the items then fitted inside the box to give as a birthday present.  There are loads of other things that could be added, sticks for the flakes, beads instead of glitter, an apron, a menu board etc. but hopefully we created a simple, fun, personal birthday gift.  And what I'm sure my girls would like now is for us to make another set for play at home!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh that looks so lovely and so fun!! What a gorgeous gift. Big thumbs up!!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Play dough is just awesome! Thanks for stopping by. Ellie

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...