Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Baby Play: Fabric & Textures Spring Chicks Bean Bags


These Chick bean bag juggling chooks from Red Ted Art have been on my to do list for ages as I thought they would make a great baby treasure basket for exploring fabric & textures.  I'm really pleased with how they turned out and the tutorial was so easy to follow.  Perfect for Spring and Easter.


The were all made with scraps of fabric, some bits of felt and black embroidery thread (although I couldn't for the life of me get a french knot to work so I just used three straight stitches close together).  They contain some stuffing for the head and some dried beans for the base.  Some of them I added dried lavender heads to make them smell nice too.


Baby Boo exploring the chicks.
 As with all things you make yourself there is no safety label, but I did give them a good checking over before giving them to him, as I first one I made the stitching had missed one of the seams and all the beans fell out!  

 

  

I made them in a variety of different texture fabrics for Boo to explore.


Of course big sisters need to join in!  
With Shoeshine who is just starting to learn to count, we had fun practicing this with our chicks.  Chick also enjoyed playing with them, lining them up and making lots of lots of supposedly chicken noises!


Taste and sniff - the best ways to explore. (And you can see the thread I haven't trimmed off - oops!)


They are definitely addictive to make.  We've got our own little family of chicks.


Thanks Red Ted Art for a great tutorial.  If you haven't checked out this site before there's a whole array of great crafty ideas for kids and grown ups and she's also just about to have her first book published too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...