With some lovely sunny weather this week we've been enjoygin lots of time in the garden and my finishing sewing this tee pee play tent last week was good timing. Over the last 18 months I've had a go at sewing a few projects, having not sewn since school, and this is my latest one, a very girlie teepee play tent. Great for imaginative play, pretend camping, hiding out, sheltering from the sun and relaxing in.
The pattern is from this brilliant book. The pattern has lovely attention to detail and very clear instructions. I love the way the tent is finished on the both the inside and outside as the seams are all hidden in the rod casings. I've made a number of things from this book and all have turned out well and I've learnt lots of good techniques from doing the various projects too.
I used some curtains I had picked up in the charity shop for £1.50 (butterfly fabric) and £1 (mauve and pink flower fabric). The rod casings and one of the inside panels is from leftover fabric I already had. I also used some pre-made bias binding for the door panel edges and round the top, although the instructions do tell you how to make your own. This is fairly straight forward sewing with lots of straight lines, but I was grateful for the gingham check of my rod casing as it made it easy cutting the long thin straight sections.
Because my fabric wasn't very thick I decided to cut two panels for each side. I also left out the window as cute as it was I could see it being used as a door and it all ending up in disaster!
The tent is already proving popular for play. We still need to sort out the twine for the canes at the top, at the moment it's just looped with some garden wire so sometimes the poles slip down.
We've had a lovely couple of days weather wise, so lots of time in the garden.
Chilling out, doing a bit of writing
and hiding away.