Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Duck Pond Kit-Kat Birthday Cake


Baby Boo turned one in May.  He's no longer my tiny little baby but a gorgeous, crawling, smiling, getting into mischief little one year old!  This year seems to have just flown by.  Here's the little duck pond cake I made to celebrate his first birthday.


I haven't done much fondant icing stuff before, but if you enjoy play dough this is even better - it's sweet and edible but behaves pretty much like play dough as you roll it, shape it and  form it into things.  All the ducklings, lily pads and flowers were made free form and the eyes were poked with a cocktail stick.


The inside of the cake is a chocolate date cake, and it is covered in chocolate icing to act as the glue for the blue fondant pond and the kit-kats.  I used the same cake and icing as I did when I made the Pirate Treasure Chest birthday cake for Chick's 4th birthday. 


I was a bit worried that the kit-kats wouldn't form a neat circle and that they would keep falling off, but it turned out O.K.  Maybe I was just lucky, I think a couple of key things were using the chocolate icing when it was quite a stiff paste so they stuck on in the position you wanted them and then adding the ribbon to secure it a bit more.  Still I'm glad I didn't have to take it anywhere in the car, my chocolate glueing wasn't that good! 


We feel so blessed to have this gorgeous little boy to nurture and we are so excited as to what this next year holds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...