Thursday, 10 July 2014

Lion Birthday Cake


The request was for a zoo themed birthday cake from our eldest who turned 6 earlier this year.  I couldn't resist a lion, although zebra came a close second, but wasn't sure about getting all that black and white icing not all squidged together to resemble more of a donkey, so lion it was!


The cake is the Hummingbird cake from the Hummingbird Bakery Book.  It's a banana and pineapple cake along similar lines to a carrot cake.  I used pumpkin seeds instead of nuts and halved the sugar.  To be honest I could have taken more sugar out as I find this book has some great recipes but it's definitely for the sweet tooth.  As I was going to ice it and decorate it with sweets I would definitely try leaving out the sugar completely next time as there should be enough sweetness from the bananas and pineapple as well as the icing.


For the icing I made a caramel icing. The eyes are licorice allsorts, the ears, nose and mouth are giant chocolate buttons, the whiskers are fudge pieces chopped up and the mane is a mix of chopped fudge and 'crunchie' bars. 


No marks for technical expertise but one happy daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...